Title: Congressional Affairs Senior Specialist
Department: Government Affairs
FLSA Status: Exempt
In coordination with the Vice President of Government Affairs and the advocacy staff, this position formulates and implements the public policy and advocacy initiatives of the Association.
• In consultation and supervision of the Vice President of Government Affairs, legislative policy and strategy in implementing APTA’s public policy priorities.
• Represents the Association in lobbying efforts directed at the legislative branch of the Federal Government.
• Coordinates with the APTA Regulatory Affairs staff in the development of public policy and strategies as it relates to APTA’s legislative agenda.
• Monitors federal publications, congressional schedule, and legislation for opportunities to protect and promote the interests of physical therapy.
• Participate in legislative and political activities with other stakeholder organizations and as necessary and in consultation with the Director.
• Writes articles for Association and Departmental publications.
• Provides presentations at APTA events, webinars, and members groups.
• Develops testimony represented before congressional committees.
• Develops sign-on letters for members of Congress aimed at federal agencies.
• Develops content and resources for federal legislative portion of the APTA website.
• Attends political events to represent the Association.
• Responds to member inquiries relating to federal legislative concerns.
• Assists with the management of APTA’s grassroots, including key contacts and federal liaisons.
• Represents APTA at meetings related to federal legislative concerns.
• Serves as the liaison to selected APTA sections and APTA member groups on legislative issues.
• Assists the Director in responding to inquiries from members of Congress and various government agencies.
• Speaks to various associations, educational institutions and APTA sections.
• Actively contributes to the establishment of a positive working environment in promoting Staff Aspirations and commitment to the goals and objectives of APTA.
• All other duties as required by management related to the orderly, efficient, and safe operation of APTA.
• Bachelor’s degree required; and advanced degree such as a JD or Master’s degree in the health care policy area is preferred.
• Background demonstrating substantial familiarity with federal government/legislative affairs; and experience in formulating and advancing federal legislative and regulatory policy.
• Preferably 5+ years Hill experience working on health care and public health issues; specific knowledge and specialized expertise in access, coverage, and payment policies. .
• Understanding of federal programs such as the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, the Higher Education Act, Medicaid, Medicare, the Children’s Health Insurance Program, is desirable.
• Expertise in working in coalitions
• Excellent public speaking ability.
• Strong professional writing skills.
• Travel up to 50 percent of time
• Ability to be mobile
• Ability to travel up to 50% of the time
Equal Opportunity Employer