Grassroots Advocacy (Senior) Associate – Leading Government Affairs Office
Competitive pay, excellent benefits
The American Physical Society’s Office of Government Affairs is looking for an enthusiastic, engaging and results-oriented Grassroots Advocacy Associate/Senior Associate, depending on experience, to educate and mobilize APS members on federal policy issues impacting the physics community. The (Senior) Associate will be the face of APS’s member-centric advocacy efforts and will work with APS staff across departments to help advance APS’s policy priorities.
APS is the nation’s leading organization of physicists, with more than 55,000 members in academia, national laboratories and industry. The APS Office of Government Affairs (OGA) is the policy and advocacy arm of APS – facilitating communication between physicists, the public, and government on scientific issues of concern to APS members and the nation as a whole.
As the Grassroots Advocacy (Senior) Associate, you’ll coordinate all of APS’s grassroots advocacy efforts, with the freedom and encouragement to develop new advocacy initiatives in consultation with OGA leadership. Responsibilities vary from organizing APS’s Congressional Visit Days, to representing APS at national meetings and on Capitol Hill, to strategizing new ways to engage with and mobilize APS members. You will work with APS volunteers to help advance APS’s policy priorities, regularly interact with APS leaders, and become a trusted resource for the Society’s members and staff for all grassroots advocacy-related questions, events, and activities. You will work directly with the APS Chief Government Affairs Officer, OGA Administrator, APS Press Secretary and the APS OGA science policy team on a daily basis. Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred.
APS OGA is located in the heart of Washington, DC, just blocks from the White House and Capitol Hill in the historic National Press Building. The office location offers access to Metro, great dining and retail shopping, as well as access to the National Press Club and an on-premises gym, cafe, restaurant and business center.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
• 1-3 years related experience (Grassroots Advocacy Associate); 3+ years related experience (Grassroots Advocacy Senior Associate)
• Experience with legislative process, Congress, and executive branch highly desirable
• Understanding of the culture of professional societies and their membership helpful
• Strong organization and prioritization skills; excellent attention to detail
• Strong written and oral communication, presentation and interpersonal skills
• High degree of professionalism
• Must take initiative and be a self-starter
• Work well with interdepartmental teams as well as independently; adapt quickly to changing schedules
WHY SHOULD YOU APPLY?
• Great pay, excellent benefits
• Work-life balance
• Fast-paced work environment
• Opportunities for professional growth