Megaphone is looking for a talented senior communications professional to join our team!
About us: Megaphone is a not-for-profit social justice PR firm. Our mission is to use PR as a tool to diversify the media and politics. We partner with frontline communities, political campaigns, and impactful social justice groups to break through and win on a range of progressive issues. Our team reflects the movement we are trying to build and support: we are a small but mighty group of women of color, queer folks, and people with disabilities.
Position: Director or Senior Director. This is a full-time position based in Washington, DC.
Compensation: Director salary range is $75,000 – $85,000/ year, Senior Director Salary is $90,000. We offer generous benefits including 100% employer-covered health/dental/vision insurance for employees and their dependents, flexible work environment, paid family leave, 401k, and a generous vacation policy.
Who we are looking for:
● Proven project managers — you know how to manage complex projects and teams smoothly and efficiently. You inspire staff to do their best work.
● Relationship builders — you know how to quickly build connections by phone, email, or in-person. You have solid relationships within social justice movements or Democratic politics and understand how to build and maintain them.
● Top-notch writers — you can ghost write or edit an op-ed for a national outlet and turn around a quick snappy quote in a crisis.
● Trainers — you are an engaging trainer ideally with experience training and drilling spokespeople for TV, radio, print, and general interviewing.
● Storytellers — you can find the story through the weeds, and come up with new angles to help people understand and care about the big issues of our time.
● Media strategists — you have an excellent track record securing top-notch media coverage.
● Movement people — you have a deep commitment to social justice.
● News junkies — you love the news whether it’s your local paper or TMZ, CNN or Ebony.
In a typical month, you would:
● Attract new social justice partners in need of communications and PR support.
● Train up and coming diverse voices in social justice and progressive politics to perform at a high level in media interviews.
● Assist with building out messaging for new and existing social justice campaigns.
● Help coordinate a team to secure top-notch media coverage for our partners across platforms — print, radio, tv, online, etc.
● Provide short and long term strategic guidance to diverse social justice clients on how to break through in a crowded media cycle.
● Help us grow Megaphone to better serve our mission of using PR as a tool to diversify politics, media and the progressive movement.
● Build relationships with partners, reporters, movement organizations, and fellow staff.
● Write, edit, and approve drafts of diverse press materials ranging from opinion pieces to statements and memos to communications plans.
We need you to have:
● 5-10 or more years of experience in a combination of media relations, social justice, journalism, and/or politics and government. At least 3 of those years in media relations specifically.
● Work experience in one or more of the following issue areas: candidate campaigns, criminal justice, climate change, environment, racial justice, economic justice, reproductive rights, LGBTQ rights, tax justice, working families issues, etc.
We’d like you to have at least two of these:
● Spanish language fluency.
● Non-profit experience.
● PR firm experience, and especially business development or partnerships experience.
● Political campaign or Congressional experience.
● Journalism experience.
● Experience building long-term media strategy campaigns.
● Experience leading social media campaigns.
● Media training experience.