SEIU (Service Employees International Union)
Job Title: Senior Digital Specialist Grade: PS-3 Annual Pay : $76,509.20/YR
Location: Washington, DC
This position is responsible for supporting the Digital Manager and will oversee SEIU’s social media presence with a focus on building and engaging SEIU’s overall online community, leading audience acquisition efforts across social media platforms, and supporting strategy and planning through data analysis.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: (Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification). Purpose: Performs a wide range of duties as assigned by the International Union, including but not limited to the following:
• Assists with coordination, planning, and development of content for SEIU’s digital properties, with a particular focus aimed toward increasing growth and engagement on SEIU’s social media platforms.
• Assists in the operation of SEIU’s social media accounts to engage and grow online community, including day-to-day execution, community management and monitoring, and ensuring message consistency across multiple social media platforms.
• Liaises with broader communications team and other departments, divisions, campaigns, and organizations on developing engaging social media content.
• Regularly analyzes data and draws actionable insights to optimize SEIU’s social media efforts, this includes managing and owning weekly reporting. Additionally, will organize results and findings into presentations.
• Works with writers, designers, video producers, and senior communications, local union, and international union staff to plan, produce, and disseminate content for social media channels.
• Supports paid social media efforts, including audience targeting, creative development, and placement.
• Identifies creative opportunities that further mobilize SEIU’s base and promotes action on our policy issues and campaigns.
• Researches and evaluates new relevant social media channels and their impact to assist organizers, communicators, and other SEIU staff and leaders on the most effective use of technology for communications purposes.
• Assists in the training of International Union staff on social media management platforms, email and text messaging platforms, content management systems, and Google analytics.
• Provides minimal support for email and text message communications campaigns, and serves as primary back up for Senior Email and Text Specialist.
• Performs other duties as required to support the department and its mission.
Interacts with SEIU and affiliate staff and council officials and representatives, consultants, vendors, outside organizations, writers, and others.
DIRECTION AND DECISION MAKING:
This position reports to Digital Manager and works with minimal supervision.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, English or related field and three to five years of relevant work experience.
A combination of education and experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• Experience maintaining multiple social media platforms for an organization, including content development, monitoring, and using social media management tools. Must have a solid understanding of appropriate posting techniques on each social media platform.
• Thorough knowledge of digital communications strategy and tactics to support advocacy driven campaigns, audience acquisition efforts, and earned and paid media efforts.
• Experience coordinating Search Engine Optimization (SEO) efforts, Search Engine Marketing (SEM) campaigns, Google Analytics, and Google AdWords.
• Experience with graphic design, HTML, and Content Management Systems (CMS).
• Deep understanding of integrating traditional media and communications with digital communications efforts. Must have working knowledge of digital media and emerging tools.
• Analytically strong with proven ability to demonstrate data interpretation capabilities as it relates to real time marketing.
• Experience using listening & reporting tools like Facebook Insights, Sprout Social, and Google Analytics
• Experience managing social media advertising campaigns.
• Knowledge of unions, the labor movement, and their mission and objectives.
• Knowledge of union organizing, political, and advocacy campaigns.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Excellent writing and editing skills required.
• Ability to make effective presentations.
• Ability to manage multiple “priority” projects and effectively coordinate and lead respective staff to meet established deadlines.
• Ability to work effectively with elected leaders and senior staff in complex and sometimes political situations.
• Ability to continually develop skills related to us of rapidly changing technology and communications best practices.
• Ability to write and proofread Spanish desired.
• Skill in use of Microsoft Office programs and Google Drive programs.
Work is generally performed in an office setting. Long and extended hours and travel may be required.